Category archive

Community - page 13

Pedestrian Struck and Killed by Car on McHenry Avenue in Modesto

in Accident/Community/News

Pedestrian Crash Fatality on McHenry Avenue

On November 18, 2023, the Modesto Police Department reported a fatality in a vehicle versus pedestrian crash that occurred on McHenry Avenue. The incident occurred at approximately 7:30 p.m. just south of Sylvan Avenue, Modesto PD reported.

Continue reading on sacramentoinjuryattorneysblog.com

Are Prop. 47, other laws to blame for fentanyl crisis? Here’s what Stanislaus officials say

in Community/Health/News

Modesto police Officer Mark Ulrich first noticed fentanyl during an arrest in 2019. He’d been used to finding heroin and identifying it by its tarry viscosity and strong vinegar smell. But this substance was different.

“I did what we always did, took a little whiff, and boom. I got immediately dizzy and was like, ‘Whoa, whoa, whoa, OK, that’s weird. What the heck is that?’” Ulrich said. “Well, what they were doing at the time was they were mixing fentanyl into the heroin. So you couldn’t tell the difference.”

Continue reading on NewsBreak

Murder suspect arrested following chase up to 100 MPH

in Community/crime/News

The pursuit of homicide suspect Vicente Jasso started Monday morning in Madera and quickly moved north.

Jasso is accused of murdering his former girlfriend, Melanie Camacho, of Firebaugh who had been missing since Friday.

Continue reading on KMPH

Is Black Friday still a thing?

in Community/Events/News

It’s 4:46 in the morning … and what the heck am I doing awake at 4:46 in the blessed A.M.?

Oh, right. I’ve been assigned by my editor to do a Black Friday story. So here I am, on the pre-dawn streets of Turlock while she undoubtedly is snug in her bed.

Actually, I’ve been awake since 3:59 a.m., which is a minor miracle since I spent most of the Thanksgiving holiday in a food coma.

Continue reading on Turlock Journal

Turlock Together preps for busy holiday season

in Community/Events/News

Community members and local organizations are once again joining forces to bring holiday joy to those across the city.

Turlock Together, a volunteer cooperation of ministries, businesses, non-profits, schools, service clubs and community members working together to collect and distribute food and toys to families in need during the holidays, is in the process of sorting and packaging food boxes ahead of their scheduled Dec. 16 distribution day.

Continue reading on Turlock Journal

As cartels distribute killer drug, clinic workers aim to reduce demand in Stanislaus County

in Community/Health/News

About 90% percent of new admits at the Aegis drug treatment clinic in Modesto test positive for fentanyl, a drug that’s driving a fatal overdose crisis in the United States. That’s a dramatic shift since the COVID-19 pandemic, a clinic spokesman said.

The office on McHenry Avenue once was commonly known as “the methadone clinic,” where adults hooked on heroin or prescription painkillers received medication assistance to reduce cravings for the drugs.

Continue reading on Modesto Bee

Teamsters, CSU locked in negotiations amid impasse

in Community/News

More than 20 members of the Teamsters union and their supporters huddled at the busy corner of Turlock’s university circle for a one-day strike last Tuesday.

As part of a statewide strike of over 1,000 union members, they held up picket signs and banged sticks onto buckets as passing cars honked.

Continue reading on KVPR

Homeless: Pastor Dan’s Modesto Ministry of Food and Prayer

in Community/News

Years ago, Dan Lempenau was attending church when he had an epiphany. “This isn’t what Jesus is about,” he thought. “Jesus is about caring for the poor.” Since that time, some fifteen years now, “Pastor Dan” has been feeding homeless people in local Modesto Parks three days a week, day after day, week after week, rain or shine. His ministry features Bible lessons for those who wish to listen, but there are no requirements, and there is no judgment. 

Continue reading on The Valley Citizen

Puppies in Need: Could Your Home Be Their New Home in modesto, CA?

in Animals/Community/News

Interested in adding a furry friend to your family? Even if you're just keen on viewing some of the cute critters available for adoption nearby, there are ample pets waiting for their forever homes in animal shelters throughout and around modesto.

Animal shelters and pet rescue groups work hard to care for unhoused pets and connect them to loving homes.

Continue reading on Find Pets In California

Another pedestrian dies, days after Modesto police announce grant for new safety efforts

in Accident/Community/News

A male pedestrian died Saturday after being struck on McHenry Avenue about midblock between Sylvan and Woodrow avenues, the Modesto Police Department reported.

The crash occurred about 7:20 p.m., according to a Modesto Fire Department incident summary. Emergency responders found the man down in the road, suffering major injuries. He was taken to a medical center, where he died.

Continue reading on NewsBreak

1 11 12 13 14 15 74
Go to Top