Category archive

Community - page 12

Gang Member’s Deadly Rampage: A Dark Day in California

in Community/crime/News

California has been left in shock following a deadly shooting spree by Louis Peter Hernandez, a 41-year-old known gang member with a history of violence. The tragic events began on November 25th in Fontana, where Hernandez fatally shot his girlfriend and another individual. Moving to Riverside County, the rampage continued with the murder of his ex-girlfriend. A fourth victim also sustained gunshot injuries. Hernandez, who was under probation and post-release community supervision, has been charged with three counts of murder and one count of assault with a firearm.

Continue reading on NewsBreak

The brownout spreads: San Francisco’s public poo problem hits record level

in Community/Health/News

They call it the Bay Area brownout.

San Francisco authorities have recorded more than 125,000 cases of human feces found on public streets since 2020, according to data compiled by OpenTheBooks.com, a government watchdog.

Santa Truck ready to spread some Christmas joy

in Community/Events/News

Jolly Old St. Nick has parked his sleigh and is letting the reindeer take a breather, as he climbs aboard Turlock’s most beloved fire engine on a mission to visit as many neighborhoods as possible over the next few weeks.

The Santa Truck will be making a tour of the city from today through Dec. 20 thanks to the ongoing efforts of Turlock Fire Incorporated, which began decades ago as a means to bridge the gap as the department transitioned from an all-volunteer fire department to one operated by the City of Turlock. Now, it is the driving force spreading Christmas cheer through Turlock. Fire personnel contribute $15 monthly to make sure the Santa Truck is kept in good working condition and has plenty of candy and holiday cheer to pass out during the city-wide tour.

Continue reading on Turlock Journal

Read to a Dog returns to Turlock Library

in Community/News

The popular Read to a Dog program is back at the Turlock Library following a brief hiatus due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The event, which takes place every first Saturday of the month from noon to 1 p.m., invites independent readers up to the age of 12 to read to a certified therapy dog inside the library.

The Turlock Library first began hosting the Read to a Dog program in 2011. After a nearly three-year pause, they brought it back in October. Their two events since returning have received rave reviews.

Student hit by car near Turlock’s Pitman High School

in Accident/Community/News

A student was left with minor injuries after being hit by a car in Turlock Monday afternoon.

A spokesperson for the Turlock Police Department said the student was hit by a car near Pitman High School just before 3:30 p.m.

The student was taken to a hospital as a precaution.

Continue reading on ABC10

Holiday tradition continues

in Community/Events/News

For the first time in more than 15 years, Dan Casale, Sr. will not be part of the Downtown Turlock Christmas Parade on Friday, however, his 1950 Farmall M tractor will be.

Casale passed away in October, but his family will be continuing the longtime tradition of lighting up his beloved antique tractor with Christmas lights for the enjoyment of parade goers.

Pedestrian Struck and Killed by Car on McHenry Avenue in Modesto

in Accident/Community/News

Pedestrian Crash Fatality on McHenry Avenue

On November 18, 2023, the Modesto Police Department reported a fatality in a vehicle versus pedestrian crash that occurred on McHenry Avenue. The incident occurred at approximately 7:30 p.m. just south of Sylvan Avenue, Modesto PD reported.

Continue reading on sacramentoinjuryattorneysblog.com

Are Prop. 47, other laws to blame for fentanyl crisis? Here’s what Stanislaus officials say

in Community/Health/News

Modesto police Officer Mark Ulrich first noticed fentanyl during an arrest in 2019. He’d been used to finding heroin and identifying it by its tarry viscosity and strong vinegar smell. But this substance was different.

“I did what we always did, took a little whiff, and boom. I got immediately dizzy and was like, ‘Whoa, whoa, whoa, OK, that’s weird. What the heck is that?’” Ulrich said. “Well, what they were doing at the time was they were mixing fentanyl into the heroin. So you couldn’t tell the difference.”

Murder suspect arrested following chase up to 100 MPH

in Community/crime/News

The pursuit of homicide suspect Vicente Jasso started Monday morning in Madera and quickly moved north.

Jasso is accused of murdering his former girlfriend, Melanie Camacho, of Firebaugh who had been missing since Friday.

Continue reading on KMPH

Is Black Friday still a thing?

in Community/Events/News

It’s 4:46 in the morning … and what the heck am I doing awake at 4:46 in the blessed A.M.?

Oh, right. I’ve been assigned by my editor to do a Black Friday story. So here I am, on the pre-dawn streets of Turlock while she undoubtedly is snug in her bed.

Actually, I’ve been awake since 3:59 a.m., which is a minor miracle since I spent most of the Thanksgiving holiday in a food coma.

1 10 11 12 13 14 73
Go to Top