Category archive

Community - page 33

Whitney girl soars to school’s first CIF state track and field championship to lead locals

in Community/News/Sports

The goal for Sacramento-area athletes was to reach the medal stand Saturday night in the 103rd CIF State Track & Field Championships in Clovis.

The highest step belonged to a local champion from Placer County who went out on top at Whitney High School.

Continue reading on The Sacramento Bee

Man carjacked at gunpoint just outside city Monday night

in Community/crime/News

On Monday, May 22nd, 2023, at 10:44 pm, the Stanislaus County Sheriff’s Office was dispatched to a reported carjacking that had just occurred near the intersection of W Harding Rd and S Tegner Rd, Turlock.

When deputies arrived in the area, they contacted the victim in a nearby church parking lot who told them that while he was driving his white 2022 Dodge Durango, he was approached by two men armed with handguns.

Continue reading on turlockareanews.com

Homeless Count Released For Point-In-Time Effort

in Community/News/People

The Stanislaus Community System of Care (CSOC) has released its 2023 Point-In-Time (PIT) homeless count, identifying 2,091 homeless persons in Stanislaus County, an increase of 234 people from last year’s total count. The results were released on Friday, May 19.

“Homelessness affects all of us. The PIT Count is an important resource to gauge how many people are experiencing homelessness in our communities,” said Emily Webster, Vice-Chair of CSOC. “The information helps us develop support services and housing to help this population.”

Continue reading on Oakdale Leader

Local unemployment rates rebound in April

in Community/Employment/News

After three consecutive months of rising unemployment rates in Stanislaus and Merced counties, the statistics provided by the State of California’s Employment Development Department finally started to improve during the month of April.

Last month, Stanislaus County’s unemployment rate dropped to 6.2% from a 7% rate in March. Similarly, the unemployment rate in Merced County fell from 11.3% to 9.7% in the month’s span. This comes as the state unemployment rate for April was reported as 4.3% and the nationwide rate came in at 3.1%, both 5% lower than in March.

Continue reading on Turlock Journal

Stanislaus District sends 10 individuals, one relay team to state track championships

in Community/News/Sports

Top Stanislaus District track and field athletes competed against the best from across the Sac-Joaquin Section Friday and Saturday in hopes of advancing to the 103rd CIF State Track & Field Championships.

Local participants in Saturday’s Sac-Joaquin Section Masters championship finals qualified for state in a number of events including pole vault, discus throw and a number of sprint and distance track events.

Continue reading on Modesto Bee

Farmers market provides scholarship for local student

in Community/News/School

Denair High senior Dakota Rutherford is the 2023 recipient of the Jeani Ferrari Scholarship, provided by the Turlock Certified Farmers Market.

Rutherford, who has been active in FFA throughout her high school career, plans to attend Modesto Junior College in the fall.

“I think my FFA experiences helped me a lot with scholarships and applications,” said Rutherford, who has held an FFA leadership position for the past five years. “I’ve learned all sorts of skills, across the board.”

Continue reading on Turlock Journal

Turlock senior to graduate high school with three AA degrees

in Community/News/People

At 18 years old, Hayden Elliott is no stranger to caps and gowns.

“I already graduated from Merced Junior College (with) an associate degree, an Associate of Science for Psychology — that was my third degree," said Elliott. "I already have the Associate of Science for Administration of Criminal Justice as well as Associate of Arts for Social Behavioral Science.”

Continue reading on ABC10

These 3 common scams target older adults in Modesto. Here’s how to avoid and report them

in Community/crime/News

Scams are on the rise across the U.S. — and as the country faces this growing trend, older adults in Modesto have lost thousands of dollars.

Data from the Federal Trade Commission shows a more than 30% increase in money lost due to fraud between 2021 and 2022 nationwide, with a total loss of almost $8.8 billion.

Continue reading on Newsbreak

No injuries reported after empty home catches fire in Turlock

in Accident/Community/News

Firefighters say a house is set to be demolished after it caught fire Tuesday morning in Turlock.

Turlock Fire Department said their crews responded around 9:25 a.m. and arrived to find a fire along the 1600 block of Geer Road that had extended from the first floor to the second.

Continue reading on ABC10

Man seriously injured and a child is flown to hospital after McHenry Avenue crash

in Accident/Community/News

A man suffered major injuries and a child was airlifted to a hospital following a crash Friday at McHenry and Claratina avenues.

The man was driving a 1949 Dodge Coupe north on McHenry about 11 a.m. when it collided with a Honda Civic going south on McHenry, making an eastbound turn onto Claratina, Modesto police Lt. Martha Delgado said.

Continue reading on Newsbreak

1 31 32 33 34 35 73
Go to Top